Lumos Capital Group
- With >15 years of principal investing experience, James Tieng (Princeton, HBS) has invested over $1.6 billion of equity in education, software, business services, and digital media companies at Quad Partners, Apax Partners and Irving Place Capital.
- Prior to Lumos, Co-Founder Victor Hu (Amherst, HLS) completed over $50 billion in deals as Global Head & Co-Founder of Goldman Sachs' Education Technology & Knowledge Services Group.
- The founding team has >40 years of experience investing, financing and advising companies in the target sector across top tier private equity, venture capital, investment banking and consulting firms.
- Invest $10-25 million in 10 theme-based, growth equity commitments in fast growing, outcomes-oriented businesses, often in fragmented markets.
- Target companies typically have $10 million+ in revenue, have strong unit economics and a clear path to profitability (or already profitable), with a highly recurring revenue base and strong customer relationships.
- Focus on high-growth SaaS or tech-enabled services businesses that generate a positive social impact; target gross returns of 3.0x MOIC / 25% IRR.
- Sourcing model driving proprietary deal flow through long-standing relationships with entrepreneurs, operators and early-stage investors, including the Lumos Advisory Board and other ecosystem partners.
- Track Record
- James has led and completed 11 platform investments in the human capital development sector, with realisations generating ~3x MOIC.
- Fund I Update
- ~$120m of current commitments (as of Dec ‘20), , final closing in Q2 ‘21 (target $175m).
- Existing LPs include institutional investors (foundation, pension, fund of funds), global family offices and HNW individuals.
- Lumos completed its first platform investment, leading a $15 million+ growth round in a market leading K-12 SaaS business in March.
- Lumos completed a second growth investment (workforce acceleration) in Dec ‘20.